Barely two weeks into 2016, how is January going for you? I would not say mine is smooth sailing but so far things have generally been going my way although there have been bumps along the way.
There are times when you feel tired of your inner battles, whether or not you should embrace pessimism all at once. Regardless of your current situation, choose optimism.
Here are some of my all time favorite quotes to get me back in the bright side:
- “How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.”
― Anne Frank, Anne Frank’s Tales from the Secret Annex
- “We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”
― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere’s Fan
- “A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.”
― Winston S. Churchill
- “Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
― Victor Hugo, Les Misérables
- “There is some good in this world, and it’s worth fighting for.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
- “You’ll never find a rainbow if you’re looking down”
― Charles Chaplin
- “Be of good cheer. Do not think of today’s failures, but of the success that may come tomorrow. You have set yourselves a difficult task, but you will succeed if you persevere; and you will find a joy in overcoming obstacles. Remember, no effort that we make to attain something beautiful is ever lost.”
― Helen Keller
- “So live as if you were living already for the second time and as if you had acted the first time as wrongly as you are about to act now!”
— Viktor E. Frankl (Man’s Search for Meaning)
- “Write it on your heart
that every day is the best day in the year.
He is rich who owns the day, and no one owns the day
who allows it to be invaded with fret and anxiety.
Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could.
Some blunders and absurdities, no doubt crept in.
Forget them as soon as you can, tomorrow is a new day;
begin it well and serenely, with too high a spirit
to be cumbered with your old nonsense.
This new day is too dear,
with its hopes and invitations,
to waste a moment on the yesterdays.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Collected Poems and Translations
The Optimist : Animated Short Film from John Mervin on Vimeo.
10. Promise Yourself
To be so strong that nothing
can disturb your peace of mind.
To talk health, happiness, and prosperity
to every person you meet.
To make all your friends feel
that there is something in them
To look at the sunny side of everything
and make your optimism come true.
To think only the best, to work only for the best,
and to expect only the best.
To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others
as you are about your own.
To forget the mistakes of the past
and press on to the greater achievements of the future.
To wear a cheerful countenance at all times
and give every living creature you meet a smile.
To give so much time to the improvement of yourself
that you have no time to criticize others.
To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear,
and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.
To think well of yourself and to proclaim this fact to the world,
not in loud words but great deeds.
To live in faith that the whole world is on your side
so long as you are true to the best that is in you.
― Christian D. Larson, Your Forces and How to Use Them
The last one pretty much sums everything up. Hang on to the remaining light no matter what happens. As long as you think things can change it definitely will.
Now enough about me, how about you? What is your favorite quote on optimism?